Tuesday 10 March 2015

Evaluation - Question 3

What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?

Distributors play a vital role in the manufacturers and users operating smoothly. Their main aims are to further response times, enhance a company’s research and even create value-added packages. The main stages of production for my magazine are: design, distribution, editorial service and digital magazines.

The media institution I have chosen to distribute my music magazine is Times Inc. UK. This is because they are responsible for two of the countries biggest music magazines ‘Uncut’ and ‘NME’. The latter of who was an inspiration for the creative process of my magazine. NME specific in Rock music, which is why I felt Times Inc. UK, were the appropriate and obvious choice. They are regarded as having one of the largest media production companies that the UK have ever seen which would provide my magazine with a good base in terms of security of the magazine.

NME and Uncut’s target audiences are 16-35, which coincides with my primary target audience, which is 16-21. This reassures me that this company will be effective with this age demographic as they would be able to cater to their needs. My music magazine is similar to NME’s but differs in the sense of price range being cheaper which would attract a younger age range. The main features such as reviews, articles, interviews and statistics both are used within NME and my magazine Oblivion. As a mainstream rock magazine, Oblivion will be suited to this company due to its pre-existing relationship with NME and Uncut. Who share similar values in that their audience needs are very important and their aim is to satisfy them across the board.


Due to the age demographic of my magazine being 16-25. Social media will have a big part in the promotion and advertisement. I will use websites such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to advertise my magazine as teenagers specifically spend a large amount of time online. Due to this reason, I will also be selling my magazine online as this is because of how media such as music and film are consumed, it is only time for magazine’s to follow suit. However, I am not forgetting about how the ‘old fashioned’ way of selling magazines via local supermarkets and news agents as this is still popular among young adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment